Monday, October 12, 2009

Cigarettes in Chicago

Cigarettes in Chicago by Jeremy Heuslein the Blood, pooling
in my mouth, tastes
like the last cigarette
we shared in Chicago
that winter.
hot lungs and cold faces.
It spills out like that smoke,
our breath,
wrapping around flushed cheeks.
then, I see gray eyes change into blue-
clear-winter-sky
and now, brown turn into gray.
i could say i'm Sorry.
I could.
I'm Sorry.
I never should have left
dearborne and kinzie, and
all the old haunts, where
our cigarette smoke still
lingers and sticks to brick,
where you pressed your back,
and held me and spoke and
loved me, many sidewalks ago.
i got lost in another city, somewhere
between fairbanks and ivanhoe,
out of cigarettes and plans.
and dying, dying is taking the Orange line,
out past roosevelt to cicero,
flying from Midway.

2 comments:

The Heuslein Family said...

Wow Jer, that is a really vivid poem. I like it a lot!

The Heuslein Family said...

btw, this is Jenn :)