Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The End is in the Beginning

((This is a short-short I am writing in series of short-shorts. I hope you enjoy!))


This is the end. He said goodbye. And don’t be afraid, we’ll both be okay. Trust me.
I still don’t understand.
Do you understand that I have to do this? This place is killing me.
Why do you want to leave; aren’t you happy here?
I have to go, and you can’t come. You’re too much of this place.
Their eyes had met, and they both spoke silently all the words both needed to say. He sighed, and that was all she wanted. She had walked up to him, breathed deeply and waited.
She knew when she saw him. The way he was standing revealed too much: the shrug in his shoulder, the defeated look, and the green, ratty hat. All the way to the park her hands had trembled on the steering wheel. She had promised to met him that afternoon, and for five hours time felt like it was moving backwards. But he had called, and he never called on Tuesday mornings. She knew then. When James and Karen first met, she never thought it would end like this.

No comments: