Monday, October 10, 2011

Opening a Question

I believe it was Gadamer (or maybe it was Socrates, performatively) who said that the question is more fundamental to knowledge than the answer. The question is what opens up the horizon, enables an answer or answers, as the case may be.

So, I am trying to open up my question, establish one. And I am finding that in order to open up a question, I already have to know a lot. Well, sort of. The specificity of the thesis requires that the question be a specific question or project. This enables developed argumentation and a sustained reading of all sources; a dialogue, if you will.

As such, I have begun reading all sorts of things. Not only Aristotle, but articles on Aristotle, books on Aristotle, very specific articles that use terminology that I have no idea what it means in the course of the literature and tradition. It is similar to what I believe is the process of uncovering a new world. So, what are my questions?

How is touch described, both by Aristotle, Plato, and the Presocratics? What is touch's relation to the soul? How does touch function as a sense? What is the sense-organ of touch? Does touch have a medium analogous to the other senses? How has touch been treated in philosophers since Aristotle? What is the difference between touching something and grasping something? Does touch condition the other senses? Is touch in some sense more original or primary?

These are some of the questions I am exploring and the ones that I am learning what it means to ask.

No comments: