Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Marathon Classes

Okay. Okay. This post isn't about Aristotle either, but it is about classes. They are extraordinary long here. Two two hour classes, back to back. And lectures. Straight up. I am recording them, because, well, sometimes the points are so intricate that my written notes don't elucidate much, so I have to return to what the professor said, and then (maybe) there's hope of understanding. But they are good lectures -- engaging, provocative, stimulating. Just long. Long, and I grow tired. I'm tired already. I need snacks. Good snacks. Energizing snacks.

It is an interesting phenomenon that because of the length of the lectures, each professor's personality comes through even in one session. Their quirks/oddities, mannerisms, and other such notions are on their sleeves, as it were. Three examples of three professors that I have. One of them, at the end of his sentences, will say, "Ça va?" That's French -- he's French. And it means, something along the lines (in this context), are you tracking? I think it means, most often, how is it going? But whatever. Another professor, uses 'yes, yes' as a verbal filler. Sometimes just a single 'yes,' but more often than not, it is double. Lastly, and most professorially, I have a professor that will sometimes stop -- maybe he's caught someone's eye contact, or feels a breeze, or whatever -- and pause. Wait for it. "Where was I?" Or similar expressions to that effect. Anyways, it's quite fun.

But I am seriously considering bringing snacks.

1 comment:

Martyn Wendell said...

I think that your idea to bring snacks is a good one. Emphasis on the "s" at the end of "snacks." Emphasis on "sharing." Emphasis on "sharing snacks with the person sitting next to you." Etc. But you could probably discern my emphases without my spelling them out for you, I suppose.